- Better speak some French: Actually, in Provence; it is possible to travel well and have a good time without speaking French. Maybe it’s because tourism is a big source of income. Still, the moment the online booking didn’t come through and you risk finding yourself without a place to stay and arguing with the hotel staff; it comes in quite handy.
- As of the third day – and of the third city – it’s getting difficult to tell the places apart. Never mind weekdays…
- Getting into a city later than 20:00 is not a good idea. In the small cities in the South, public transport doesn’t run later than this. Unless you enjoy a 30 minutes walk with 15kg luggage at the end of the day.
- I only realised on my way that I was following down le Rhône from Lyon, over Avignon to Arles. Not planned but very pretty!
- Provence smells like a mix of goat cheese, ripe peaches and lavender. Yamee!